Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Favorite Three About the Dick Smith Library

This is my last blog post for the Dick Smith Library, and I thought it only fitting that I post about the top 3 things I have loved most about working here.

1. The Library Staff - I can't tell you enough how wonderful it is to work with people who like to work together and have spirit when they come to work. I have worked here for over 12 years (including my time as a student worker), and I have not met anyone with whom I couldn't get along. They are extremely nice and always willing to help out in any situation they can. It's been like working with a family. They just want everyone to succeed. It's what they do.

2. The Environment - Working at a university in general is just plain exciting. My grandpa used to tell me that I needed to work for the school system when I grew up, and I completely understand why. There's always the benefits that everyone talks about, but it's more than that with a school or university. It's new people coming and going all the time. It's the excitement that each new fiscal year brings with its new entertainment and new challenges. It's happy times I had as a college student and memories that I will always cherish.

3. The Resources - I work with keeping the library's databases and license agreements renewed in a timely manner, and I have to say, they aren't cheap. The library spends a pretty penny to keep its collection current and as scholarly as possible for students' research needs. I've been pretty impressed with the decisions they have made on their databases as well as their print and audiovisual collection as a whole. Anytime I find something on GoodReads that I might be interested in, I'll look it up in our catalog to see if we might have it so I can check it out. If not, there's always the option to get it from Interlibrary Loan or you can use Suggest-A-Purchase to request that the library buy the item instead. It's saved me lots of money from going to Hastings and just buying a book...plus, you don't have to worry about spending money on something you might not like once you've read it.

All in all, I've loved working for the Dick Smith Library, and I will miss my colleagues here, but I'm thankful for the all the encouragement and opportunities they have given to me through the years, and I wish them all the best.

1 comment:

Cathy W. said...

Rashelle,
You were/are a delight to work with. Whomever you work with in the future will be lucky to have you there.

I learned more from you than you realize and am grateful for having been able to do so.

I'm sure gonna miss you, but am really happy for and excited about the opportunities ahead for you.