Thursday, February 4, 2016

Something I never thought about...


When we prepare for an interview we always think about how we will present ourselves. We submit a polished resume. We study all we can on the job that we want. We pay special attention to hygiene and dress. My daughter recently bought an entire new suit for a job interview. She really wanted the job!

But, until recently, I never really thought about how we speak -- our elocution. I'm from the south. Specifically I'm from Texas. Lived here all my life. I realize that I have a southern accent, but is it that bad? I guess it is. I remember meeting some out-of-towners (meaning out of state) many years ago, and they said, "I love the way you talk! It's adorable!" I really knew what they meant. They were politely saying that I sounded like a "hick from the sticks".

Do your speaking habits give the illusion that you are not as smart as you really are? I don't know. But, I do know the best way to present yourself to a potential boss is to put your best foot forward. One way to do that is to speak well. Read the following article, and you decide.


Sloppy speaking habits

No comments: