John Tarleton College - October 1908
Over 100 years ago the 10th session of John Tarleton College, 1908-09, was the most prosperous in the school's history! Enrollment reached 287 - tuition had doubled - the $15,000 girls' dorm, Mary Corn Wilkerson, was built - and there were 16 graduates!
In 1908-09 the campus consisted of 8 acres with natural grass lawns and shade trees! There were 3 basketball courts and 2 tennis courts. The athletic field was equiped for high jumping, vaulting, hurdle racing, etc. The baseball and football field had a grandstand and was enclosed by a picket & board fence. There was also a bath house equipped with dressing room, showers, and lockers!
The Athletic Association was composed of John Tarleton College students and faculty and directed all athletic events. To participate in athletics, the player had to be a bonafide student in good standing. John Tarleton College was a charter member of the West Texas College League which controlled intercollegiate meets. The West Texas College League had rigid rules which required high morals and scholarship for all participants!
Shown above is a John Tarleton College track meet in October 1908! It shows the field, the grandstand, and the board fence!
We have come a long way in the last 100+ years!
Cross Timbers Historic Images Project, Dick Smith Library.
John Tarleton College Bulletin, 1908-09.