Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Birthday Best Sellers

BibliOz.com has a "Birthday Best Sellers" search engine that allows you to see the New York Times best sellers for the week of a specific date, such as your birthday.

For this Top Ten Tuesday, I thought I'd try the search engine out. The University's library was given its own building in 1956. The week of February 15, 1956, the top ten NYT best selling fiction books were:
  1. Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor
  2. Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk
  3. Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara
  4. Cash McCall by Cameron Hawley
  5. Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis
  6. Island in the Sun by Alec Waugh
  7. Boon Island by Kenneth Roberts
  8. H.M.S. Ulysses by Alistair MacLean
  9. An Episode of Sparrows by Rumer Godden
  10. The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit by Sloan Wilson
Try it out with your birthday, or whatever other date you like, and see how many of the books listed are ones you've read! For the record, I haven't read a single one of the above books, and I also haven't read any of the books published the week of my birthday. Maybe I need to turn my "birthday best sellers" into a personal reading project one of these days.