Last week the Tarleton Thursdays blog was about Charles Froh and the Fine Arts Department - about when he came to Tarleton in 1910 and the department had 3 pianos and one instructor - and then by 1930 had a new conservatory with fine equipment and splendid staff! Seventy five years ago, in the fall of 1935, the J-TAC boasted headlines such as the "Band is Largest in School's History", "Plans Made for Coming Years in Fine Arts Club", and "College Orchestra to have Tryouts"!
One of the students in 1935-36 was Clyde H. Wells, shown in the photo above! Clyde Wells, a Stephenville native, attended Tarleton from 1935-1936, going on to graduate from Texas A & M. While at Tarleton he was an agricultural education major, was on the livestock judging team and was a member of the SOTS (Sons of Tarleton Society).
Clyde Wells served on the faculty at Tarleton and Texas Christian University. He was also with the USDA Soil Conservation Service and lived in Granbury where he was associated with the Black Ranch. He was Director of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show, and served as a trustee for the Texas A & M Research Foundation. As chairman of the A & M Board of Regents and chairman of the Council of Governing Boards of Texas Colleges and Universities, he was devoted to Tarleton and one of the best friends Tarleton has ever had!
Clyde Wells was involved in many organizations, contributing time and funds to various community activities in Granbury, as well as Tarleton. He was selected as Tarleton's Distinguished Alumnus in 1971. He was honored by the House Concurrent Resolution 63 adopted by the 68th Legislature in 1983, recognizing him for his many educational and agricultural contributions to the state of Texas. He was a member of the board of Trustees of Tarleton's Development Foundation, was a member of the President's Commission and served as president of the Tarleton Alumni Association from 1952-1954.
Little did Clyde Wells know 75 years ago when he was a Tarleton student that our Fine Arts Center of today would be named in his honor!
J-TAC, September 28, 1935
J-TAC, February 5, 1987.