The first printing of APA's 2009 Publication Manual (6th ed.) contained many errors. APA has agreed to replace the error-ridden first printing with a corrected edition -- at no charge to the purchaser.
To determine if your copy is the first or second printing, look at the copyright page and note the publication date.
- July 2009 means you have the first printing. Send it back for a replacement.
- Second Printing: August 2009 means you have the corrected hardback or spiral version. Do not send it back
- Second Printing: October 2009 means you have the correct paperback version. Do not send it back.
Use these steps to obtain a corrected printing of the APA Publication Manual 6th edition:
- Before you call the APA Service Center, have the following information available
- Number of copies purchased.
- Date copies were purchased.
- Vendor or bookstore each copy was purchased from.
- Cost of each copy.
- Call the APA Service Center at 1-800-374-2721 (9 am - 6 pm Eastern time).
- Select option 4.
- Be prepared to be on hold for a while due to high call volume.
- Give APA the above information, your full name, phone number, e-mail address and complete mailing address.
- If you use a campus building T-Box number, give your building's name and your T-Box number (Example: Dick Smith Library, T-0450). Otherwise, UPS may not deliver your package.
- After your phone request, you should receive an e-mail with two PDF attachments:
- A UPS shipping label to use when sending the manual back.
- Print out the label and save the tracking number.
- A sheet labeled “Replacement Copy Information.”
- Include a copy of this second form with your package.
NOTE: The free APA Publication Manual replacement offer
- is only good between November 2 and December 16, 2009
- does not apply to desk/complementary copies
- applies only to the first printing of the 6th edition of the publication manual
- does not apply to related materials such as Concise Rules of APA Style or the Mastering APA Style: Instructor's Resource Guide.