Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Meet Our Staff: Melissa Cookson

Melissa Cookson
Cataloging Coordinator
254-968-9339
cookson@tarleton.edu
Dick Smith Library – Main Floor – Rm109J

I began working at the library on October 1, 2008. As the Catalog Librarian, my job primarily involves cataloging library materials (books, DVDs, audio books, etc.) and maintaining records that are already in the catalog. In addition, I’m the liaison to the Biological Sciences Department.

As a student at Colorado College in Colorado Springs, I majored in Anthropology and minored in German, but I also took courses in a wide variety of other subjects, such as psychology, Chinese art history, and Japanese culture. I received my Master’s in Library Science at Indiana University in Bloomington. My cataloging courses were always some of my favorites, so I’m happy to be here, doing what I love best. Prior to coming to the Dick Smith Library, I worked as a Cataloging Assistant at Colorado College’s Tutt Library and volunteered as a computer class assistant for the Pikes Peak Library District.

When I’m not working, I enjoy reading. My favorite genres are romance, fantasy, mystery, and science fiction. I’m a huge fan of Japanese animation and manga – if I haven’t already seen or read something, I’ve probably at least heard about it or know where to find information about it. I also love rats and have had pet rats off and on for several years. Currently, I have two boys named Bear and Yuki.

No comments: