Thursday, September 21, 2017

Meet Our Staff: Phyllis Kinnison

Phyllis Kinnison
Librarian / Archivist
254-968-1808
pkinnison@tarleton.edu
Dick Smith Library – Lower Level, Room B05B


I came to Tarleton in September 2017 to serve as the new Librarian / Archivist. As an archivist it is my job to preserve the collective memory and culture of a community and its people. My job has three parts: (1) I collect materials of continuing usefulness such as diaries, letters, journals, ledgers, reports, etc.; (2) I arrange and preserve each collection; and (3) I describe each collection to help researchers find information. I think my job is very exciting, because I not only get to work with very old materials but also born-digital information stored on new formats such as CDs, DVDs, and hard drives.

I earned a BA in social studies education with a library science minor and a MA in history at The University of Louisiana at Monroe. I later earned my MLIS (master in library and information science) at Louisiana State University. In my career as an archivist, I’ve worked as a project archivist at Louisiana State University, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; the head of special collections at Ouachita Baptist University, in Arkadelphia, Arkansas; and archivist at the Museum of South Texas History in McAllen, Texas. 

My father was in the Air Force the first 16 years of my life, so I have lived in many locations and enjoy traveling. The activities I enjoy include watching movies, reading, and gardening. My daughter, a freelance editor, lives in Austin with my three grandsons. My son lives in Nashville, where he works as the technical director of the Nashville Ballet.

1 comment:

Joshua Wallace said...

You worked at the Museum of South Texas History? I've been to that museum, it's very nice. I lived in McAllen from 2007 to 2014 and worked as a librarian at South Texas College.