Thursday, January 26, 2017

Tarleton Centennial Display



 
100 years ago Tarleton joined the Texas A&M system and will be celebrating all year. The first celebration is taking place this week in the gallery of the Clyde H Wells Fine Arts building. The gallery consists of photos and artifacts spanning the last 100 years.

I recently spent an hour in the gallery and it wasn't enough time to take it all in. Thanks to a television in the corner, I was immediately immersed into the 1940's and 1950's. My eyes were drawn to a large desk with an antique typewriter and a wicker table with a bejeweled box and hand-held mirror. I was able to imagine myself living in the girl's dorm while viewing a photograph of the parlor room.

I encourage you to visit the gallery and learn about our past. I also encourage you to answer these questions:
  • When were female students allowed to stop wearing uniforms?
  • Who was the librarian in the top photograph?


But you'll need to hurry because the exhibit is only available this week!

Exhibit hours are:
Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday from 1 to 6 p.m.


No comments: