Monday, June 24, 2013

Meet Our Staff: Laura Prewitt

Laura Prewitt
Graduate Assistant
254-968-9249
laura.prewitt@go.tarleton.edu
Reference & Information Desk
Dick Smith Library – Main Floor

I started as the Reference Graduate Assistant (GA) at the beginning of the spring semester in 2013. Graduating from Tarleton, my undergraduate degree is Agricultural Services and Development, with an emphasis in agriculture extension. During that time, I also obtained a minor in Technical Writing with a graphic design emphasis. To complicate matters even more, I am working on a masters degree in Counseling/Psychology. After I explain my assortment of degrees, many people give me odd looks before saying, “…So you are going to teach cows how to read and then counsel them?” I often laugh before explaining the reasoning behind the hodge-podge of interests.

My passion is working with troubled youth and my long-term goal is opening a ranch for troubled children. Starting my freshman year at Tarleton, I was given the chance to work with foster children at Foster’s Home for Children, which is where I truly found my passion of helping troubled youth. At the beginning of my senior year in college, I founded an organization called Tarleton Mentors, which connects college students to the foster home, providing the kids there “mentors” and the care-givers an extra pair of hands to help out around the house. Complimenting my experience at the foster home, I have also traveled to the Ukraine and worked for several weeks with orphans, opening my eyes to a bigger, broader world beyond the gates of Tarleton. That trip alone has impacted me and only lights my passion even more, working with youth that have been forgotten, pushed away and abandoned.

Before obtaining the job as the Reference GA, I worked at Career Services for roughly two years during my undergraduate years. At that time, I really found out how much I enjoyed customer service and helping people with their everyday needs. After I graduated, I worked at the College of Graduate Studies for a few months as a GA and learned the technical side of graduate admissions. After expanding my knowledge there, I migrated from that office to my current position at the library. One of my favorite features of this job is dealing directly with the students and helping them with whatever situation that arises, whether it be research, technical problems or anything else. My experience in a library consists of over 900 hours of volunteer work from 7th grade through 12th grade. When free time presents itself (which is few and far-between) I am normally found at the foster home, mainly chilling and enjoying the moment, or curled up on the couch with my dog, watching TV. I do enjoy yoga and meditation, finding quiet in my chaotic life.

No comments: