Tarleton Affiliates with Terrell Labs
Dr. Truman Conner Terrell founded the Terrell Laboratories after moving to Fort Worth from Ranger in 1914. In 1953 he was President of the Texas Medical Association and was Tarrant County’s first medical examiner after the legislature created it in 1965. He also taught in the old Fort Worth School of Medicine and served five terms as president of the Texas Society of Pathologists. He was a physician for more than half a century!
In 1962 Tarleton became affiliated with the Terrell Laboratories School of Technology and X-Ray. Tarleton students could attend Tarleton for three years, followed by thirteen months at the Terrell Laboratories. Then upon passing the ASCP registry, they received a BS from Tarleton. Four other schools were also affiliated with Terrell Labs – North Texas State University, Arlington State College, Texas Wesleyan College, and Texas Christian University.
On January 25, 1963, Tarleton student Betty Jo Doshier graduated after studying medical technology for thirteen months! Episcopalian Chaplin at All Saints Hospital and a Tarleton alum, Father Blackwell, gave the invocation and benediction at graduation. Master of Ceremonies was Dr. R.C. Schaffer, pathologist on staff at Terrell Laboratories. So we see how the building got its name!! Keynote speaker was Fort Worth advertising executive Jim Matthews. Dr. T.C. Terrell presented the diplomas. Tarleton science professors, Mr. Lamar Johanson and Dr. Prentice Caraway and their wives represented Tarleton at graduation, which was held in All Saints Hospital.
Over the years there have been several names for this program including Medical Technology (MedTech), Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, and now Medical Laboratory Sciences! The Dick Smith Library has always purchased and cataloged all of the resources for their library. We even have a librarian there now, Lisa Blackwell, who provides reference and research services to students, faculty, and staff, as well as gives presentations to promote library services.
The mission of the Tarleton Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences is “to graduate laboratory professionals who are prepared to assume laboratory leadership roles in the North Central Texas region and the state of Texas”. It also is a resource network for the laboratory health care community and a source of continuing education for faculty, alumni, and staff members of affiliated institutions.
Wow – that makes Tarleton’s Medical Laboratory Sciences program over 50 years old!!
Way to Go!!
Dallas Morning News, June 6, 1971.
JTAC, February 5, 1963.