Fifty years ago this month marked the groundbreaking for the new student center – what is now the Tarleton Center! Ceremonies began with the Tarleton Texan Band playing the color song, followed by the posting of the colors. The podium was placed in the northwest corner facing south, with chairs for eight dignitaries. Included in the “stage” party was Tarleton President Howell, Leon Stanley, general contractor, W.E. Parrish, architect for Wyatt C. Hedrick, and other Tarleton and A & M employees.
President E.J. Howell turned the first spade of dirt with the silver shovel that was presented to him by Mr. Leon Stanley. The engraved silver spade stated “This spade commemorates the occasion of groundbreaking on March 12, 1963 for the new Student Center, Tarleton State College, Stephenville, Texas…E.J. Howell, President; Wyatt C. Hedrick & Associates, Architects and engineers; and Leon H. Stanley, general contractor".
Before the construction began, however, the original Hunewell Bandstand had to come down, as shown in the above photos. It was located in the construction area! The Hunewell Bandstand was a gift from the classes of 1926, 1927, and 1928, and was built by Tarleton staff and students with rock quarried from the college farm.
The bandstand was named for Tarleton band director and music professor Dennis Hunewell, the same faculty member who endowed Tarleton with the Hunewell Ranch that is still used today. The Tarleton Alumni Association raised funds for the new replica of the Hunewell Bandstand it was constructed in Heritage Oaks Park in 2005. Today it is a popular venue for many events!
Have a Great Spring Break!!
JTAC January 15, 1963, March 12, 1963, March 19, 1963.