- Roujin Z - In this sci-fi comedy, an elderly invalid is forced to take part in an experiment designed to replace human nurses with machines.
- Ghost in the Shell - A cyberpunk classic. It's set in a future where few people lack cyber enhancements of some sort. An elite assault team tries to track down a hacker responsible for "ghost-hacking" several people's minds.
- Grave of the Fireflies - An adaptation of Akiyuki Nosaka's semi-autobiographical novel. Two children try to survive in the the aftermath of a World War II bombing that destroyed their home and killed their mother.
- Perfect Blue - A psychological thriller about a pop star who quits her singing career in order to become an actress, only to be stalked by one of her fans.
- Princess Mononoke - A historical fantasy that starts with a young man defending his village from a giant boar-demon. Although the young man is able to kill the boar, one of his arms is cursed in the process, and he must journey to find a way to remove the curse.
- Spirited Away - While on their way to their new home, 10-year-old Chihiro and her family end up at a bathhouse intended for spirits. After Chihiro's parents are turned into pigs, Chihiro works at the bathhouse and looks for a way to save them.
- Millennium Actress - A filmmaker interviews a reclusive former actress about her life and her career. Fantasy and reality mix, as happens in many of director Satoshi Kon's films.
- R.O.D. (Read or Die) - An action movie starring a special agent working for the British Library Special Operations Division. Bibliophile Yomiko Readman has the ability to manipulate paper into any object she can imagine. She and a couple other agents work together to stop reincarnated historical figures from controlling the world.
- Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence - Another cyberpunk thriller. Batou, a heavily cyborged police officer, works with his mostly human partner to investigate a series of murders.
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - A girl discovers she has the ability to move backwards through time. While she has fun with this ability at first, she eventually realizes that changing the past can have serious consequences on those around her.
- Tokyo Godfathers - Three homeless people find an abandoned baby on Christmas Eve and try to locate its parents.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Top Ten Tuesday: Japanese Anime
Did you know that the library now has a few Japanese anime movies in its collection? This list is a little more than 10 items long, but I wanted to include them all.