Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cookbooks at the library

With Spring Break coming up, I thought I might write about the library's collection of cookbooks - you might have a little extra time to make some good food or snacks. A general search in the library's catalog for things about "cooking" brings up a lot, but you might want to try searching for more specific subjects like "low budget cooking" (for those who'd like good food on the cheap) or "quick and easy cooking."

A couple books I've tried and enjoyed:
  • Campbell's creative cooking with soup (General Stacks, TX715 .C1894 1985) - This is an awesome book that allows you to mix and match ingredients for lots and lots of different meals and desserts. I love the recipes for mini meatloaves and broccoli and noodle casserole. There's even a cheesecake recipe!
  • Mrs. Rowe's little book of Southern pies (General Stacks, TX773 .B8835 2009) - This may be a little book, but it has lots of good recipes packed inside of it. The book tells you everything you need to do to make pies completely from scratch. I have to admit, though, that I always used frozen pie crusts instead of making my own. I really like the Brown Sugar Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie, and Tar Heel Pie recipes.
If you'd rather not seach the catalog, try browsing the TX642-840 area in the General Stacks (3rd floor of the library) and see what you can find. Feel free to comment about any books you particularly like. I love learning about good cookbooks I haven't tried yet, and I'm sure others do, too!

1 comment:

Kim Gragg said...

It's amazing what you can do with a can of soup.