Fire Razes Frey Hall, Airmen Made Homeless!
On Tuesday morning, November 6, 1951, Tarleton's Frey Hall burned. The dormitory housed approximately 125 USAF cadets of the 3470th School Squadron in 31 rooms. The students were attending the Clerk-Typist School at Tarleton. All their personal belongings were lost.
The fire, of unknown origin, broke out about 8 am while all students were in class. No one was injured as a result of the blaze. Firemen from Stephenville and Dublin were called in to fight the blaze. Because of the asbestos shingles they were able to contain the fire and keep it from spreading to the adjoining Yearwood Hall. Loss was estimated at $100,000.
The wooden barracks was moved here in 1947 from Eagle Mountain Lake where it had been the batchelor officers' quarters. It was named for Lt. Henry B. Frey, a Tarleton alum, who lost his life in World War II.
The photos above show namesake Henry Frey, Frey & Yearwood Halls, the fire, and where Frey Hall had been! Can you tell where Frey & Yearwood Halls were located?
Dick Smith Library, Cross Timbers Historic Images Project.
J-TAC, November 13, 1951.
Stephenville Empire-Tribune, November 9, 1951.