Thursday, October 9, 2008
Tarleton Thursdays: Did You Know?
The first Grassburr was published in 1916. It included a listing of all the John Tarleton College alums from the first graduating class in 1903 through the 1915 graduates. The editor, F. Paul Williams, stated that “Time has added another year to the history of John Tarleton College. We have endeavored to make this volume of The Grassburr a representative of the year for every student to remember his pleasures and friends by. We have worked faithfully to publish a book that we will be justly proud of. To what extent we have accomplished this, let time and posterity decide.”
In 1901 the male and female literary societies worked together to produce the John Tarleton, a monthly campus literary journal. In 1904 it became a 2 page weekly news sheet called The Tarletonite. The October 12, 1905 issue stated that John Tarleton President “Edgar Bramlette spent Saturday morning on the Bosque looking for snails, craw fish, et cetera.” It also stated that "Tarleton College will open the season in a game with Howard Payne College next Saturday." In 1919 The Tarletonite’ name was changed to the JTAC.
Homecoming 2008 will feature a reunion of the Grassburr and JTAC staff from 1953-1958. Stuart Chilton has located many of the former staff members and this will be a great homecoming for them. The Dick Smith Library staff organized a display in their honor in the Thompson Student Center lobby next to the post office. Stop by and take a look!