Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Meet Our Staff: Glenda Stone

Glenda Stone
Assistant Director for Monographs and Technical Services
254-968-9871
gstone@tarleton.edu
Dick Smith Library – Main Floor – Rm109K

I am currently in my 37th year at the Dick Smith Library. I began working March 1, 1970 as a clerk typist in the cataloging department and was promoted to Library Assistant in 1972. I obtained my Master of Library Science degree in August 1986 from Texas Woman’s University. I was made a Librarian in 1988 and Head of Cataloging in 1991.

My passion is local history and genealogy. My family came to this area in the early 1870’s, in both Erath and Hood County. I have assisted Tarleton students, faculty, public school students and teachers, and the general public with their research and have done local history and genealogy presentations for many area groups. In 2001, I initiated and am director of the ongoing Cross Timbers Historic Images Project, a digitization project of historic area photographs held in organizations throughout the area, obtaining two grants for this endeavor.

Active in the Dick Smith Library Friends group since its inception in 1991, I have for many years been involved in the Dinner in the Stacks and the book sales. I also served on the Tarleton Centennial Celebration Committee, the Purple Book committee, and the Alumni Association coffee table book committee, as well as completed special projects for the library rededication. I have served on the Faculty Senate and the Staff Council and was named the January 2008 Staff Council Employee of the Month. I am the library liaison for the Department of Social Sciences and the Department of Animal Sciences.

My hobbies include local history/genealogy research, traveling, Texas music, crafts, and reading. I have traveled to Switzerland, Germany, and Holland on a family heritage tour and helped write two books on our family. I plan to write my own book in the near future. I love to travel and I love research so you will usually find me in the local libraries wherever we go looking for cool tidbits about our elusive ancestors!

No comments: